|Upstairs bath, before.|
|You can see where there's been moisture hitting the plywood next to the tub over time.|
Before we can address that vanity, we needed to put in a new floor. Conveniently I have easy access to all types tiles and after lots of deliberation, I picked a nearly black porcelain. So, I figured, let's tile the bathroom ourselves! Easier said than done.
Inititally, I got myself all psyched up for attempting this project. Then I got totally scared that I'd completely botch the whole thing. But then, after reading up, watching you tube videos and talking to experienced tile setters, I regained my confidence that we could really try installing it ourselves.
The first step was laying 1/4" cement board over the existing subfloor to provide a sound water resistant base for the tile.
|We dry fit the pieces in place first.|
|We realized after the fact that we could have made our thinset a little thinner, but oh well.|
A tile installer I work with recommended using full tiles at the door if possible, and except for the notch around the jamb, I did so.
|Dry fit in progress.|
|The little strips on the right will mostly be hidden by the door.|
|Tile setting in progress.|
|Everything in place! (Now the vanity looks extra hideous.)|
|(The "haze" on the tile is just dust from the wet saw cuts.)|
Even though the floor is far from perfect, I still feel pretty proud of myself. It came out pretty well for an amateur, I think!
Next on the agenda for this bath:
-grout the tile! (This should also help mask some of the irregularities.)
-find or make a threshold that will cover the 1" height difference between the hall floor and the tile
-paint the vanity cabinet a shade of red
-possibly replace the countertop if there is leftover material from the kitchen
-paint the walls
-reinstall baseboard behind toilet
-reinstall trim around window
-replace light fixture